[c-nsp] Monitoring External Web Server

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Fri Apr 3 17:01:08 EDT 2009

I would strongly recommend keynote over gomez. It's what a lot of folks
use. Gomez has some interesting features, but I found them harder to
work with.

Pingdom is also a popular choice.

Or you could just use nagios or other monitoring tools.... do you have
any sort of network management/monitoring now? If so it's highly likely
you can add a probe for an HTTP service.

In fact I wouldn't recommend testing from the router, as that may be a
false positive (think someone changes an ACL and it's broken from
everywhere but the router).

So often you will want monitoring of both the "front channel" and the
"back channel".

Really don't know enough about your architecture to be sure. I'm basing
this on the architecture I have used at multiple organizations, where
one has a DMZ/Vlan and a management VLAN, with servers having a NIC in
each.