[c-nsp] Monitoring External Web Server

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun Apr 5 11:24:44 EDT 2009

Aaron Riemer wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> We have a requirement to monitor the external availability of a web
> server that hangs off our ASA DMZ interface. I was thinking of running
> an IP SLA probe from our external router to test the web requests but I
> was wondering if anyone had done something with EEM that could possibly
> try to establish a TCP connection to the web server and report the
> statistics somehow. I don't want to place a machine outside for the
> monitoring so would prefer to do it from our router if possible.
>
> Any thoughts?

You won't get true monitoring unless you place 2 machines on the
outside and put a modem in one and run sendpage software on it - OR
use a commercial service.  I run paging software under FreeBSD
running on an old P200 machine.  I had to try several different
modems before getting one that worked right with the software.

The reason you need this is that if your Internet connection goes
down your router cannot page you that there's a problem.  The reason
you need 2 machines is that if one of the monitoring systems goes
offline.  In my setup both systems monitor each other.  I also monitor
a few major websites (google, etc.) to make sure we still have
connectivity.

The only problem I have now is when my cell phone battery dies. ;-)

Ted