[c-nsp] two ISPs, two routers, one firewall - bgp question

Rossella Mariotti-Jones rossella at chemeketa.edu
Mon Apr 6 12:22:08 EDT 2009

Hello all, I have a question regarding this scenario:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example
09186a00800945bf.shtml#conf5

My R2 link to ISP is 100M
R1 link to ISP is a DS3

If my firewall has a default route of 192.168.21.2 and  I have a 10M
download going with AS300, my firewall is going to send out my traffic
through its default gateway which is 192.168.21.2, R2 knows through iBGP
that R1 is the best path to AS300, so it sends the traffic to R1,
traffic coming back goes through R1, R2, firewall to get to the client,
so basically in this case the link between my firewall and R2 is taken
up twice. Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks everyone in advance.

rossella