[c-nsp] SIP-400 and 10GbE SPA

Paolo Lucente pl+list at pmacct.net
Mon Apr 6 11:45:43 EDT 2009

Hi MKS,

the performance you get really depends on the average size
of the traffic mix you push through the card. The vendor is
providing you with the 64-bytes packets scenario, then the
scaling exercise to see whether it fits your scenario it's
up to you. Also translated you should certainly not expect
a SIP-400 to scale 10GE line-rate with an average traffic
size of 64 bytes.

If this is acceptable to your setup, then you just need to
find the average traffic size for the specific scenario with
some basic traffic analysis (NetFlow ?), see whether you fit,
take some margin (for all sort of inconveniences), etc.

Otherwise you might want to look at some different hardware
solution (SIP-600 ?).

Cheers,
Paolo