[c-nsp] cisco IOS ip helper-address and MADCAP

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Apr 7 05:52:59 EDT 2009

hi,

just a quick question to peak some folks interest on a monday
morning....and since I didnt get an answer from google et al.

does anyone know if cisco 'ip helper-address' can deal with MADCAP
(multicast address assignment via DHCP - also known in some
circles as MDHCP)?   I know there is very little server support
for this - it seems, currently, that only microsoft DHCP server
can deal with this type of request - I want to know that if such
a server was deployed then would the requests from other VLANs
reach it as they currently do with standard DHCP (we use ISC DHCPD)

alan