[c-nsp] BGP across continents

Alasdair McWilliam alasdairm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 10:22:04 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am setting up a multihomed hosting centre in Europe. As part of the
service offered we will be providing Disaster Recovery services, using
our ability to re-route customer IP prefixes, through to another
hosting centre in Canada.

We have a requirement for some prefixes within our net block to always
be available in Canada, and some to always be available in Europe. So,
I am wondering if someone can clarify my thoughts re. the AS numbers
required for this: can I use the same ASN at both locations (both of
which will have different upstreams) or will they reject prefixes from
one another? For example, Canada will see a prefix from Europe with
the same ASN in the AS-Path and drop it. Likewise Europe will drop
Canada prefixes because it can see the same AS in the AS-Path.

Is there any way around this or is the only option to request a second ASN?

Cheers
Alasdair