[c-nsp] Packet Loss on 6513

Mesiatowsky, Shawn SMESIATO at petro-canada.ca
Tue Apr 7 12:11:29 EDT 2009

We currently have 2 6513's in our core, and we have seen packet loss on our network. I was trying to locate the source of the packet loss. We did see some input queue drops on the SVI's and physical interfaces. I had increased our queue size on the vlan interfaces to 500, and our packet drops on the svi's decreased signifigantly. Now I am trying to figure out why there is packet loss on the physical interfaces. We have a sup 720, and our line cards are WS-X6724-SFP and WS-X6748-SFP.

Here is a sample of an interface with high drops
GigabitEthernet2/23 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
  Hardware is C6k 1000Mb 802.3, address is 001a.2f68.7bc2 (bia 001a.2f68.7bc2)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 38/255, rxload 32/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive set (10 sec)
  Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, media type is SX
  input flow-control is off, output flow-control is off
  Clock mode is auto
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1d00h
  Input queue: 0/2000/91560/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
     942611654 packets input, 633784740348 bytes, 0 no buffer
     Received 7319979 broadcasts (6903850 multicasts)
     0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
     0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input
     891230426 packets output, 579042873963 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
     0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output

I also looked at the utilization of this interface with our snmp tool, and utilixzation of this interface never went over %40

I also noticed the following, and was not sure if this was completely accurate:

show platform hardware capacity interface
Interface Resources
  Interface drops:
    Module    Total drops:    Tx            Rx      Highest drop port:  Tx  Rx
    1                          0           466                           0   1
    2                          0        154228                           0  23
    3                          0           123                           0   1
    4                          0        190102                           0  21
    5                          0        446318                           0  21
    7                 3940684041             0                           1   0
    9                          0         34280                           0   7
    10                         0             5                           0  42
    11                         0           433                           0  46
    12                         0          1686                           0  44
    13                     66042        119859                           1   1

  Interface buffer sizes:
    Module                            Bytes:     Tx buffer           Rx buffer
    1                                              1221120              152000
    2                                              1221120              152000
    3                                              1221120              152000
    4                                              1221120              152000
    5                                              1221120              152000
    6                                              1221120              152000
    9                                              1221120              152000
    10                                             1221120              152000
    11                                             1221120              152000
    12                                             1221120              152000
    13                                             1221120              152000

Does this mean that 3940684041 packets were dropped on the egress queue on the sup? Does this seem extremly high, and shat can cause this?
Thanks for your help

This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the original message. The information contained in this email is private and confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of this communication by any means is prohibited. If you are not specifically authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in error please notify the original sender immediately. We honour similar requests relating to the privacy of email communications.

Cette communication par courrier ?lectronique est une communication priv?e ? l'usage exclusif du destinataire principal ainsi que des personnes dont les noms figurent en copie. Les renseignements contenus dans ce courriel sont confidentiels et si vous n'?tes pas le destinataire pr?vu, vous ?tes avis?, par les pr?sentes que toute reproduction, transfert ou autre forme de diffusion de cette communication par quelque moyen que ce soit est interdite. Si vous n'?tes pas sp?cifiquement autoris? ? recevoir ce courriel ou si vous croyez l'avoir re?u par erreur, veuillez en aviser l'exp?diteur original imm?diatement. Nous respectons les demandes similaires qui touchent la confidentialit? des communications par courrier ?lectronique.