[c-nsp] GigE sub-int won't come up

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Apr 7 19:12:30 EDT 2009

Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> Is there an active access port in VLAN 999 on the 4948, or somewhere
> downstream of it, assuming any neccessary trunking at the site is
> already in place?  I've seen VLANs not come up before, until there is
> actually a host in the VLAN.

There is an active switchport in 999 currently and 1001 before I
switched to 999.  I don't know that the 4948 could be the problem
though.  I've seen VLANs not come up until a port in the VLAN was active
as well but that's normally on a switch or a router with a switchport
(ISR w/ a Ethernet HWIC for example).  There isn't a mechanism to
advertise VLANs or their local status across a trunk that I'm aware of
(with VTP disabled at least).  VTP is transparent on the 4948 and not
configurable on the 7206.  I should be able to configure a dozen 1Q
sub-ints on a router's interface and have them be up/up regardless of
whether it's configured for use on the connected switch.  At least I'm
pretty sure I should be able to.

What silly thing am I missing?  Maybe it will come to me after consuming
chips and salsa.  Thanks for the info

Justin