[c-nsp] T3 or Ethernet delivery?

Church, Charles cchurc05 at harris.com
Wed Apr 8 08:54:20 EDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Seth Mattinen
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:15 AM
To: cisco-nsp
Subject: [c-nsp] T3 or Ethernet delivery?

>How do you detect a "down" condition on Ethernet? My experience is that
>the interface could be up/up because Ethernet doesn't know about
>anything further down the line and ends up throwing packets into a
>magical black hole. Or worse, secret packet loss.

Object tracking can take care of this.  Or a dynamic routing protocol
(no connectivity, no neighbor).  You just need to be more careful in
your QoS.  A routed ethernet port has far more flexibility than a simple
switch port on most platforms.  You'll probably want to shape/police
your traffic outbound if your provided BW is exactly 10, 100, or gig.