[c-nsp] T3 or Ethernet delivery?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Apr 8 10:08:10 EDT 2009

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

>> How do you detect a "down" condition on Ethernet? My experience is that
>> the interface could be up/up because Ethernet doesn't know about
>> anything further down the line and ends up throwing packets into a
>> magical black hole. Or worse, secret packet loss.
>
> There's nothing unique to Ethernet about that...

No, but with ethernet, it's more likely that there's going to be a layer 2
"local device" (i.e. a switch) which you connect to, but the layer 3 next
hop is somewhere off on the providers network in another building.  When
the network breaks somewhere between the provider's L3 next hop and your
location, you'll still be up/up, but have no connectivity.  With BGP, you
might tune the timers shorter than default so that such a break gets
noticed sooner.  With a T3, BGP would find out about the break as soon as
the interface went down.

With ethernet, it's also somewhat easier for your provider to screw things
up.  I've dealt with several instances where a carrier managed to combine
multiple customer VLANs and mix traffic to/from unrelated customers.  I've
seen similar things once on a DS3 though, so it's not impossible
there...just much less likely.

Ethernet is generally much cheaper for interfaces.