[c-nsp] Max length of 9600 serial over CAT5e

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Wed Apr 8 13:03:30 EDT 2009

RS-232 has more limitations than just cable capacitance. RS-232 is a
single-ended communication protocol (on the physical level), so it's
noise immunity is not very good. This is especially a problem if you're
running the cable in an electrically noisy environment (like a cable
tray or wiring closet(s), etc.).

If you need to run a long distance, why not just convert your RS-232
signal to RS-422 where you can safely run a 9600bps signal out to over a
kilometer? All you need is a 2 pair cable, ideally with a shield,
provided you don't need hardware flow control. The converters are
usually cheap, maybe $50 or so per end unless you need electrical
isolation.

   -Bill