[c-nsp] Supervisor Failover - Speed question

Geoffrey Pendery geoff at pendery.net
Thu Apr 9 08:29:03 EDT 2009

Yes, failover shouldn't take 2-3 minutes.  I've personally observed it
as less than one second in several test environments.  But I imagine
it's highly dependent on the details.

What it your criteria for measuring it as done?  Are you pinging from
a host on one port of the chassis to another?  One network to another,
routed across the 7600?  Pinging the supervisor's loopback address?
Looking at routing protocol adjacencies in neighbored routers?

As others have mentioned, if you're running a routing protocol like
EIGRP or OSPF, adding "nsf" in the config for that protocol will
likely help to maintain forwarding during the failover, though not
technically speeding up the failover itself.

Could you elaborate a bit on what traffic you're seeing down for a few minutes?

-Geoff