[c-nsp] DNS Tool

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Apr 9 12:32:11 EDT 2009

Without having a more detailed explanation of what browsing
problems your having, it's difficult to give any more specific
advice, but here goes:

1) browsers cache DNS lookups, so if your having repetitive
lookups fail off the same browser session, it's not actually a
DNS problem even though it might seem like one.

2) client operating systems also cache DNS lookups so if
your having repetitive lookups fail off multiple browser sessions
it's not actually a DNS problem even though it might seem like one.

3) if lookups work fine with nslookup but appear to fail in the
browser it's not actually a DNS problem

4) If you override your client OS DNS server IP addresses with
your ISP's DNS server IP addresses and you have lookup problems
it's not actually a DNS problem.

I think you probably are starting to get the picture here - many
things that people -think- are DNS problems actually aren't.  As
long as your being coy about what the exact problem is, your not
going to get much useful advice from us.  There's no need to be
embarassed, all of us have gone through these kinds of problems
before, often of our own making.

Practially all "DNS problems" I've ever troubleshot turned out
to be layer-2 problems, not DNS problems.

Just a thought.

Ted