[c-nsp] best way to network servers with management (iLO/IPMI)

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Thu Apr 9 13:26:53 EDT 2009

Roland Dobbins wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2009, at 12:20 AM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
>
>> I have two older Dell servers that only give you the option of a
>> shared ethernet port for their
>> onboard IPMI, take it or leave it.
>
> So, you can use the built-in port for that, and insert another NIC for
> use on the production side, yes?

One could, but the single PCI-X (yes there's one and only one, not two)
slot is taken by a RAID card and the other onboard GE port is being used
for SAN access. ;)

For the OP, yes, do use a dedicated port even though it can drastically
expand your cabling and switching needs if you have a lot of servers.
Port sharing is a horrible, horrible hack.

~Seth