[c-nsp] Sonet "hard" patterns for testing

Forrest W. Christian fwc at mt.net
Thu Apr 9 14:05:53 EDT 2009

I just got bit by a problem with scrambling not being on on a POS OC3
with a upstream provider... (Long story - provisioning person at
provider had no clue... insisted that it wasn't needed).   Symptom of
course was certain files just not being able to be transfered past a
certain point - where the file contained patterns not possible to
transmit across a non-scrambled POS circuit.   Took me a while to find
it, though, because normal ping packets of course go through just fine,
100% of the time.

In testing this, though, I would have loved to have some payloads for
ping packets which weren't sendable on a non-scrambled POS circuit.. and
probably other underlying circuits also.   Sort of a set of "difficult"
packets to try to send.

Google has not been my friend in this regard... probably not using the
right keywords, if the data exists out there at all.

Ideas?

-forrest