[c-nsp] Testing reachability

Aftab Siddiqui aftab.siddiqui at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 09:16:05 EDT 2009

There could be several reasons for a packet drop on particualr in some
point in time. It could be coz of high traffic utilization or may be
coz of high cpu utilization incase of a system process. There is no
general rule for troubleshooting that's why placing the NMS is very
critical with in the enterprise network.

For a start if you have snmp enabled devices than start polling the
switch/router ports for traffic (mrtg) and CPU.

It will definately help to drill down the problem.

On 12/04/2009, Sami Joseph <sami.joseph at gmail.com> wrote:
> Network Management Gurus,
>
> I have an Enterprise network and my NMS is showing interfaces on some
> devices as down and that is because it keeps checking their availability
> with snmp/ping and if one response is missed then it considers the interface
> as down and needs to acknowledge/clearing the alarm in order to remove it.
>
> I would like to know why that response is missed so we can fix it. Is there
> a tool that can give me a detailed report that  can help me troubleshoot
> this?
>
> Regards,
> Sam

Regards,