[c-nsp] GSR OC3 Eng0 to Eng3

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Apr 14 14:43:18 EDT 2009

Aaron wrote:
> The ends of each fiber should be treated independently as far as signal
> strength. One side might indeed be stronger.

We changed a router card, and now we're seeing PSE on both ends.  If the
E3 card is stronger, I can accept that we're overdriving the carrier's
gear, causing issues to be seen at the other end, but if we follow the
same logic shouldn't the card also _accept_ a stronger signal (and
therefore not take PSE due to the wider margin)?

> On the E3 side, are the other ports plugged into a different system? I
> think that version slaves off of port 0 for all the ports for clocking.

This is the only link in the card.  Problems were the same whether it
was in port 0, port 1, or as currently in port 2.  I've also gotten an
offlist response which showed me how to adjust the timing sources at the
card level.

> PSE are not really an issue but are an annoyance.

We're seeing OSPFv3 issues that seem to coincide with times when the PSE
rate is perhaps highest.  We're also seeing far more than the Cisco
troubleshooting doc says is allowable, figure a million per day.

pt