[c-nsp] GSR12008|GRP-B|4OC12/ATM-MM-SC|3GE-GBIC-SC throughput?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Apr 15 13:11:25 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 15 April 2009 12:11:10 Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> Again, the bandwidth going over the entire box is like 650Mbps spread
> more or less evenly across the two LCs.

Just a quick comment on this statement, and then in a few days I'll see if I
can't set up a back-to-back test with the 12012 here.  I don't have any Fore
switches, but I do have the Catalyst 8540MSR, and I have a few 3Com
Corebuilder 7000HD's with OC12 linecards, so I can set up a lab easily enough.
I even have some of the ForeRunner HE622 OC12 ATM cards to pop in a server to
generate traffic.

I actually need to be testing the OC12 stuff anyway, since I have some
multimode fiber runs that are too long for GigE but short enough to do OC12
multimode (550m is limit for 1000Base-LX on multimode 62.5 um even with mode-
conditioning cables, and 800m is the limit for OC12 over the same fiber, and
these links are in the mid 700's), so this is something I actually NEED to do
at some point in time to upgrade those links from 100Base-FX; that's actually
where the 8540MSR is getting deployed, to bridge/route some GigE over four
OC12 links.

But, back to the 12012, in full-bandwidth mode, the fabric is theoretically
capable of giving 2.4Gb/s to each linecard.  In quarter-bandwidth mode, you
get 622Mb/s to each linecard.  What does 'show controllers fia' tell you?  Only
engine 0 cards are supposed to run in quarter-bandwidth mode, but, given all
the other 'undocumented' things about the GSR, who knows?  (undocumented
things like 'show fabric' for instance).  I'm not even sure the 12008 can be
set up in quarter bandwidth mode; the 12012 can, though.

Also, last question, what IOS are you running?  If you're not on 12.0(32)S12,
you can be, even without a service contract, by filing a free upgrade request
with TAC and reference either the September 24, 2008 security advisories or
the latest March 25th advisory bundle.