[c-nsp] GSR12008|GRP-B|4OC12/ATM-MM-SC|3GE-GBIC-SC throughput?

Ibrahim Abo Zaid ibrahim.abozaid at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 22:22:38 EDT 2009

Dear Jason

I think ATM cell tax will be about 13% on average based on the following

ATM cell tax is composed of 2 parts

1-  ATM over-header (5 bytes for each 53 byte cell and that is a fixed
percnt )
2- cell padding which depends packet distribution

so ATM overhead will be 5/53 = ~ 4%
and cell padding can be calculated as
IP Packet size is 690 bytes will be padded with 30 bytes and transported as
720 bytes (15 cell x 48 payload size) so padding percentage will be ~ 9% (30
/ 720 )

so overall ATM cell tax will be 13% based on the given packet size and for
sure it will vary for other packet size values

best regards
--Ibrahim