[c-nsp] Ethernet over DWDM

Justin C Darby jcdarby at usgs.gov
Thu Apr 16 23:35:28 EDT 2009

Anyone care to share any experiences related to running Ethernet over DWDM?
I'm not talking huge Carrier Ethernet deployments, more like enterprise
LAN-to-LAN connectivity.

Particularly, any information at all related to point-to-point DWDM
circuits would be great. Examples: Are you InterLATA or IntraLATA, what
speeds, which technology (gigabit or 10 gigabit if Ethernet), distance,
what carrier, general location, and if you want to throw out a rough
number, how much are you paying for it?

I know all about CapEx savings with DWDM - that's why I'm looking this way.
I'm wondering about actual circuit costs and looking for general ideas of
who's doing what with it.

My needs are US-centric, but don't let that stop you if you have something
to contribute. For the record, I won't be sharing any of the details of
these results with anyone, just the rough aggregate data, if you are so
inclined to be concerned.

Thanks,
Justin