[c-nsp] VTY Lines

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 08:53:48 EDT 2009

On 4/19/09, John Jensen <jensenja at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was under the impression that the "service tcp-keepalives-in" and
> "service tcp-keepalives-out" commands will prevent this from happening
> to your VTYs.

No necessarily.  Tcp keepalives will only kill a connection if the
other side doesn't answer.  But what happens when your Ciscoworks
machine has a bad script that never exits?  Every <however many>
minutes it ssh's in and leaves the connection open.  Router sends a
keepalive, CW answers, VTY stays open.  After a while all the VTYs are
in use..

What I'd like to know is what extra protection "service
tcp-keepalives-in" gives you that the exec-timeout on the VTYs
doesn't.

Lee