[c-nsp] Easy way to configure/build new switches?

Tristan Gulyas zardoz at hotblack.net
Sun Apr 19 20:56:33 EDT 2009

Hi all,

We currently do a lot of provisioning of new Cisco 3750G switches.  This
seems to be a progressive, ongoing thing.

At present, when we receive a new switch, we need to:

* Upgrade firmware (currently 12.2(50)SE crypto, switches typically ship
with 12.2(35)SE5)
* Place our config on the switch
* Configure vlan for management, IP address for management
* Set first switch in stack to priority 15 (not in the config in a "show
run")
* Confgure VTP
* Change SDM template for dual IPv4/IPv6.
* Configure uplinks (and optionally downlinks)

At present, we do a lot of copying/pasting from a template page which is
prone to error.  Upgrading the firmware on these switches is also tedious
and slow.

Is there a tool or method we could use to quick provision these switches,
say, if we could automatically get the new firmware/config template from a
TFTP server?  What concerns me is the lines that aren't actually present in
the config, i.e. stack priority settings and VTP.

thanks,
Tristan