[c-nsp] X2 to GigE

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Mon Apr 20 02:29:42 EDT 2009

Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I am looking at using a HP 10GbE switch with X2 slots.... but only X2 - no GigE.
>
> I want to uplink this into a Cisco switch - SFP slot.
>
> Since Cisco uses X2 as well, I am wondering if there is any X2 devices that I can put into the HP that can cross connect into a SFP GigE slot on a Cisco.

Steve,

you'd not understanding layer 1 here.

 * GBIC, X2, SFP, Xenpak, SFP+, XFP are transceiver types.
 * LC/SC are cable connector types for optics
 * MM (FDDI grade, OM1, OM2, OM3), SM are fiber types.

SFP is generally used for gigabit (1G), X2 is generally used for 10G.
from a cabling perspective if this is all local within a single site
then generally it would be MM fiber, if its new, suggest you go with OM3.
can't remember connector type on X2, think its SC like a GBIC?  if so,
then a LC/SC patch will connect the two.

but you'd probably need a 10G interface to connect it in, which implies
something on the Cisco end that is SFP+, X2, SFP, Xenpak.  i.e. NOT SFP.

cheers,

lincoln.