[c-nsp] C6kSup720 "LAN ONLY" vs. "WAN"

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Apr 20 11:53:25 EDT 2009

On Sunday 19 April 2009 08:34:07 Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:
> According to Software Advisor you need the wan image for OSM cards (like
> you said). Interestingly enough, SIPs/SPAs do not seem to need it.
> Nevertheless, it's hard to believe that OSMs are responsible for the
> additional 33% of -compressed- code!

OSM's have a whole processor on board that needs IOS software loaded; PXF
stuff, etc.  Some of this is in the bootflash for the OSM, but some (or even
most) is loaded from the IOS image.  I'm assuming FlexWAN is similar, but I
don't have a FlexWAN to try with.

Also, there are protocols that are only used for WAN, things like APS and
such.

And you can't trust Feature Navigator to tell you; try comparing the images
for 12.2(18)SXF16 on a 7600 Sup2MSFC2 versus the same IOS on a Catalyst 6500
Sup2MSFC2 (same sup/msfc, should have same features, no?) to see what I mean.

Here's a 'show ver' and some other informative commands run from an OSM
console showing the special IOS running on the OSM's processor, the location
of the PXF microcode, and the differences in the system: filesystem seen from
the RP and the CWAN proc:

dc-7609-1# attach 3
Entering CONSOLE for slot 3
Type "^C^C^C" to end this session

CWTLC-Slot3>enable
CWTLC-Slot3#sh ver
IOS (tm) cwtlc Software (cwtlc-DW-M), Version 12.2(18)SXF16, RELEASE SOFTWARE
(fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Compiled Tue 03-Mar-09 14:24 by kellythw
Image text-base: 0x60011038, data-base: 0x60700000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(5r)E, ENGG RELEASE (fc1)
ROM: cwtlc Software (cwtlc-DW-M), Version 12.2(18)SXF16, RELEASE SOFTWARE
(fc2)

CWTLC-Slot3 uptime is 3 weeks, 1 day, 22 hours, 16 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System restarted at 17:24:16 UTC Sat Mar 28 2009
Running default software

cisco CWAN Toaster Linecard (R7000) processor (revision 0xFF) with
245760K/16384K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID , TMC Ucode version: 0.0
R7000 CPU at 262Mhz, Implementation 0x27, Rev 3.3, 256KB L2 Cache
Last reset from power-on
PXF processor tmc0 is running.
1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface
4 Packet over SONET network interfaces

Configuration register is 0x101

CWTLC-Slot3#sh microcode
Microcode images for downloadable hardware
HW Type             Microcode image names
pxf      default    system:pxf/ucode0
CWTLC-Slot3#dir system:
Directory of system:/

    2  dr-x           0                    <no date>  memory
   12  dr-x           0                    <no date>  pxf
    1  -rw-         695                    <no date>  running-config

No space information available
CWTLC-Slot3#
CWTLC-Slot3#
CWTLC-Slot3#
Terminate IPC console session? [confirm]
dc-7609-1#sh microcode
              ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

dc-7609-1#dir system:
Directory of system:/

    2  dr-x           0                    <no date>  memory
    1  -rw-       10176                    <no date>  running-config
   12  dr-x           0                    <no date>  vfiles

No space information available
dc-7609-1#