[c-nsp] VLAN bridging on 3560

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Apr 22 01:06:24 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 21:04 -0400, Jeff Crowe wrote:
> I don't know if this is even possible but I'll try and make it work
> none the less!
>
> I am trying to bridge 4 vlans (reduced to 2 vlans for now to get
> working) together on a 3560 to allow a sudo transparent transport for
> a customer.

The 3560 doesn't support regular bridging, only "fallback bridging" that
generally just works for non-IP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swfallbk.html
http://tinyurl.com/d27d2u

You could use a "real" router to do it, like a 2800.

Alternatively, if you can accept that the spanning trees collapse, you
can melt together the VLANs with to access ports loop to each other and
members of each VLAN. You have to be a little careful though.

Regards,
Peter