[c-nsp] number of VRFs on Cisco Cat/7600

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Thu Apr 23 13:18:09 EDT 2009

On 2009-04-23 18:33, Marlon Duksa wrote:
> I found this in Cisco documentation under the title "OSPF Support
> for Unlimited Software VRFs per Provider Edge Router" :
>
> "The OSPF Support for Unlimited Software VRFs per Provider Edge
> Router feature allows for an approximate range of 300 to 10,000 VRFs,
> depending on the particular platform and on the applications,
> processes, and protocols that are currently running on the
> platform."
>
> 10,000 VRF?
>
> 7600/Cat have a limitation of 4K internal VLANs and each L3 VPN
> (MPLS) takes one of those, up to 512 L3 VPNs. After 512 L3 VPNs it
> takes 2 internal VLANs.
>
> This would max out L3 VPNs on 7600/Cat to less than 3K. I assume that
> L3 VPN = VRF.
>
> Does anyone know how they arrived to this 10K VRFs number? It just
> does not make sense.

The 7600 router is not the only platform in Cisco portfolio that
supports VRFs. Also, the IOS and the quote deal more than with
scalability than real example of production environment.

--
"Don't expect me to cry for all the     |               Łukasz Bromirski
  reasons you had to die" -- Kurt Cobain |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net