[c-nsp] The dreaded microburst - definition and troubleshooting

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Fri Apr 24 09:31:36 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 02:38:01PM +1000, Dale Shaw wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a universally agreed upon definition for a 'microburst'?

None that I have ever seen because it's all relative.

> Is there a defined time measurement - i.e. 5ms, 10ms, 50ms, 100ms,
> 1000ms - during which a certain bps or pps threshold must be
> met/exceeded?

No because it's dependent on the features and traffic profiles
through the entire box.

#1 issue with this box as high speed switches have been connected to them.

What does 'show c7200' say?

> It would be nice to be able to explain such drops like "within the
> measurement window, we saw traffic at bps/pps rate x, and we know that
> anything beyond bps/pps rate y will result in drops".

The best you could get is that the rx ring, IIRC from 'show controller',
is 128. If you overrun that you will see an overrun/drop. There are a lot
of internal complexities to how interrupts are handled for high speed
switching in software. It's not perfect. There are times when interrupts
need to be disabled and any short time is enough to overrun the rx ring.
I worked with the BU to try and increase that rx ring depth but it was
much more complex than it appears to make that happen.

s> I suppose it's platform-specific, but how does one come up with an
> accurate benchmark? Is such precision just wishful thinking in the
> murky world of microbursts? :-)

Honestly, wishful thinking. It varies by plaform, feature configuration,
user interaction, etc.

Rodney