[c-nsp] The dreaded microburst - definition and troubleshooting

Ian Cox icox at cisco.com
Fri Apr 24 12:56:21 EDT 2009

The definition I generally use is this:

[snip]
A microburst is when packet drops occur when there is not sustained or
noticeable congestion upon a link or device.

Example: The 1 minute utilization of a link is 20% and packet drops are
occurring.

Microbursts happen in every packet based network where flow control is
not extended end to end in all types of switches both blocking and
non-blocking.
[end snip]

I principally work on high end switching and the 4 main ways we see it
occur:
- Speed Mismatch (10G into 1G, 10G into 10M) More extreme the speed
mismatch the more dramatic the issue.
- Network Oversubscription, Example 20 1G hosts using 1x10G uplink
- L2 Unicast Flood - Synchronization of flood from multiple hosts
- L2 Multicast - Synchronization of multicast from multiple hosts in
large any to any multicast environments.

Microbursts are how packet networks work that do not have end to end
flow control. (End to end flow control is no panacea, you then have to
create  ways to prevent deadlock situations)  You can use larger buffers
to mask the issue, but that increases the latency and causes jitter. You
can end up with the situation of packets arriving in extreme cases tens
of seconds latter. Dropping packets is not the end of the world, it puts
a limit on how large the latency and jitter can grow.

Ian