[c-nsp] WS-C2950G-24-EI memory upgrade

Doug McIntyre merlyn at Geeks.ORG
Sun Apr 26 14:42:39 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:17:15AM -0500, Jason Link wrote:
> This might be a silly question, but are you certain you only have 8MB
> ram?  Everything I see online shows that switch to have 16MB.  I do know
> that Cisco used to have switches that came with 8 initially and were
> later released with 16 - but that was back in the days of the 2924s.

That was 4M (for ws-c2924-xx) and 8M (for ws-c2924xl-xx). At least the
physical size of the box changed from a 2924 to a 2924xl and the color
was different, with different part #s.

Cisco has been known to silently upgrade products for memory as well,
and only the new hardware rev will run the newest code. Ie. I have an
837 that doesn't have any RAM on the motherboard, and a max DIMM size
of 32M. Later on, they updated the data sheet, silently put out 837's
with some RAM soldered on, and the latest (as of 12.3T somewhere)
images for it require something like 48M of DRAM now, something my
837 hardware can't do, even if I put a 64M stick of RAM in it.

But thankfully, that doesn't happen often, and certainly not on the fixed
catalyst which is all soldered on RAM, no HW upgrades at all on them.