[c-nsp] BGP Dynamic Neighbors and VPNv4

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Apr 27 12:36:10 EDT 2009

Peter Rathlev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Reading about BGP Dynamic Neighbors I can see that the 12.2SX
> Configuration Guide[1] states that only IPv4 peering is supported. Would
> anybody know if this actually means "no IPv6" or if it also means "no
> VPNv4"? I don't currently have a SXH/SXI box to test this from I'm
> afraid.

SXI will accept and nvgen the following config:

router bgp 64580
  bgp listen range 192.168.1.0/24 peer-group foo
  neighbor foo peer-group
  neighbor foo remote-as 64580
  !
  address-family ipv4
   neighbor foo activate
  exit-address-family
  !
  address-family vpnv4
   neighbor foo activate
   neighbor foo send-community extended
  exit-address-family
  !

...whether it works as expected is another matter - I can't test that
without outage to our test router (which is being used for other testing
at the moment).

Related: It's tedious (to my mind) that the dynamic neighbour stuff
can't use templates:

core-spare(config-router)#neighbor foo inherit peer-session iBGP-world
% Peer-group cannot inherit a template

...given that templates are superior to peer groups.