[c-nsp] Anybody here is running IPv6

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed Apr 29 12:19:12 EDT 2009

Renelson Panosky wrote:
> Hello fellow Engineers
>
> We are getting ready to start testing IPv6 at my job, if you are running
> IPv6 right now please let me how is it working fo you?

It works just as well as IPv4 does :)

> I would like to know
> the good,

- it's just emerging so learning/implementing now will allow me to relax
when the real crunch hits
- deployment/experience as early as possible allows you to really find
out which of your hardware, services, software etc are not compatible,
and provide you the opportunity to rectify things that are lacking
- the sheer size of the address space

> the bad and the ugly

I wouldn't say anything bad or ugly. Personally, I really enjoyed
delving into it, and very glad we're moving forward.

Of course it adds management time as it pretty much doubles everything
(ACL's, BGP peerings, IP allocation/assignment documentation,
troubleshooting (is it v4 that's broken, or v6)).

Other than certain pieces of the software we run on all of our mail
servers (Matt Simerson's Mail Toaster) that required some custom patches
to make it v6 capable, no other major services had any trouble at all
(web servers, DNS servers (mix of TinyDNS & BIND), SSH etc) after some
slight reconfiguration.

We don't use the router advertisement functions at all, but the
combination of eui-64 addresses on PtP links running OSPFv3 for
loopbacks is wonderful, and eui-64 addresses in general are handy for
copy/paste config deployments.

We've currently got v6 deployed to all of our edge routers, and a couple
of our 100Mb fibre clients are testing it internally with us on a small
scale. All new client deployments we handle (that are not wholesaled ie:
SDSL, fibre, wireless etc) are going out v6 enabled if the CE is managed.

We're working on gaining native v6 connectivity at this point, which has
been the biggest hurdle. I've finally learnt who provides it, but in my
current setup, I need to learn more about the inner workings of the IX
before I can decide how to proceed. Currently, we announce our prefix
via two providers through IPv6IP tunnels, which has worked very well.
Once we go native and use our own bandwidth, I will allow clients to use
v6 in production.

Feel free to ask any further information on, or off-list.

Steve

-IPv6 enabled since March 2008