[c-nsp] Anybody here is running IPv6

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Wed Apr 29 14:28:21 EDT 2009

Renelson Panosky wrote:
> Hello fellow Engineers
>
> We are getting ready to start testing IPv6 at my job, if you are running
> IPv6 right now please let me how is it working fo you?  I would like to know
> the good, the bad and the ugly

I'm not an ISP but I have deployed IPv6. I currently only offer
POP3/IMAP, DNS, and webmail over IPv6. I can't say it gets much use
outside of myself and a handful of users who are in to playing with
IPv6, but I haven't received a single trouble ticket on it.

Good:
* Works great. My core, border, and edge is all dual stack. It's just
like IPv4 with funny looking addresses. I announce a PI /48. It was
completely painless to set up.

Bad:
* Access lists on the 3750 only let me use EUI-64 host entries. Maybe
I'm just paranoid, but I don't like having MAC addresses exposed.
* TCAM space suddenly looks very small with IPv6.

Ugly:
* I wish at least one of my upstreams offered dual-stack.
* Systems out there in the world that think they have IPv6 connectivity
but don't. This is a problem for deploying concurrent A and AAAA records.

~Seth