[c-nsp] QoS and VLAN

Steve McCrory SteveMc at netservicesplc.com
Thu Apr 30 07:35:34 EDT 2009

Hi Jay,

Unfortunately, shaping is an outbound feature only. We work round this by implementing outbound QoS on the CE device on the other end of the link.

As far as I know, there are few, if any, software-based queuing mechanisms to deal with inbound traffic. Once traffic has arrived on an interface, it is considered difficult to then implement queuing. Policing is available for inbound traffic but obviously this can result in issues when considering TCP traffic.

Steven

Steven McCrory

Senior Network Engineer

Netservices PLC