[c-nsp] Optical module transmit power

Michael Robson Michael.Robson at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Apr 30 10:37:44 EDT 2009

We have a selection of ZR modules (XENPAK-10GB-ZR) in 6500s that we
are using to drive some links at 10Gbps and I have recently noticed
that all receive values (as reported via the sh int te x/y trans
command) are lower than what Cisco specify as the minimum allowed
values for those modules (i.e. the minimum quoted is -24dBm whereas we
are seeing value reported as low as -28.8 dBm), and also a link that
is receiving at -28.9dB and flapping. For these modules, none of them
are transmitting at anything like their maximum of +4.0dBm (Cisco's
figures for the maximum transmit power), they are in fact transmitting
between +1.9dBm and +2.3dBm. What determines what they will transmit
at i.e. is it simply that better manufactured ones achieve a transmit
value closer to the +4.0dBm power level, or is there some sort for
decision/negotiation that determines the transmit value at connection;
if the the latter, how can these modules be convinced to transmit at a
higher power value?

Ta,

Michael