[c-nsp] BGP Multipath and unequal IGP metrics

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 22:14:24 EDT 2009

I would consider using a layered-session approach.
The first layer would be used only to provide the path to the BGP
loopback, both to your core routers and to your transit providers, and
would be used to equalize the metric of the alternate paths. A likely
scenario would consist of 4 BGP sessions among your own routers and 2
or 4 sessions to your transit provider, but might be more; it would
require BGP support, but no 1 milion routes support.

The second layer would use the first one to exchange provider
announcements, both yours to transit and full routes from the transit
providers.

Disclaimer: haven't tested this exact scenario, ended up having
full-route capable routers on all hops.

Rubens