[c-nsp] Upgrading IOS core on a 3750 Stack

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Mon Aug 3 03:45:34 EDT 2009

Peter Rathlev <peter at rathlev.dk> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 06:18 -0700, Bill Blackford wrote:
>> The subject line says it all.
>>
>> I have some questions regarding how the upgrade works.
>>
>>   1. Do I only upgrade the master?
>
> Technically no, but the master might be able to auto-upgrade the
> members.

There is a whole 'licencing' question issue.  You can get ipservices
into your network slightly cheaper if you put ipservices on the master
and ipbase on the other stack members.  Then you just hope the master
does not die as everything will then drop to ipbase...apparently.

All of our 3750's run the same IOS and you have to copy it to each
flash area seperately.  One hint is you can copy from flash<->flash
which savessome finger wear and tear.

>>   2. If not, how do I upgrade the other switches in the stack?
>
> You can upload software to flash1:, flash2: etc. and set the boot
> variables with "boot system switch 2 flash:/asdf.bin". Remember that
> each switch sees the flash as just "flash:" when booting, so set the
> boot variable accordingly.

Hmmm, we run ours with 'no boot system switch all' and the switches pick
up the IOS on the flash automatically.  As you can only fit one IOS on
the flash anyway.....

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: The man who runs may fight again.