[c-nsp] IP unnumbered vlan subinterfaces question

Michael Ulitskiy mulitskiy at acedsl.com
Mon Aug 3 11:09:42 EDT 2009

Hello,

Guys, are there any drawbacks of doing the following:

interface Lo0
 ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface FastEthernet0/0.1
 encapsulation dot1q 1 native
 ip unnumbered Lo0
!
ip route 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0 FastEthernet0/0.1
!

as opposed to having ip address configured directly on the interface as usual?
I need that ip address to stay always up regardless of Fa0/0 state, 'cause it's used for other services that should stay up
and I'd prefer to avoid assigning another ip address exclusively for loopback use.
It seems to work in my lab, but I thought I'd better ask...

Thanks,
Michael