[c-nsp] What router to choose instead of 7206VXR-G1/G2 (Ruzhanskaya Olga)

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Aug 4 05:44:52 EDT 2009

On Monday 03 August 2009 05:05:03 pm Ольга Ружанская wrote:

> We are using 7206VXR-G1/G2 platform as edge router (PE)
> in our MPLS network. When traffic volume grows, we
> replace NPE-G1 processor with NPE-G2. But in future we'll
> need something more powerfull. General requirements:
> - OSPF, BGP (full table for our own needs and for
> customers); - MPLS VPN (L3 and L2);
> - CBWFQ (better LLQ) QoS, uRPF, GRE..

What Gert mentions in his response is essentially what
you're getting from Cisco re: the natural migration from the
NPE-G2 or 7201 platforms, i.e., the ASR1000 series routers.

However, if you're willing to "check out the neighbor's
garage", have a look at Juniper's J6350. It's a software-
based platform too, their top-end model, but you might want
to test it out for performance and feature parity, to see if
you're really gaining much by switching platforms, if you so
choose.

I'd say that by the time you're pushing a software-based
platform like the NPE-G2 or J6350 to its limits, you're
pretty much justified breaking into the hardware-based
router realm, particularly when it's "relatively" affordable
platforms like the Cisco ASR1002 or Juniper M7i (at those
traffic levels, of course).

Cheers,

Mark.