[c-nsp] IS-IS route separation/filtering

Jared Gillis jared.a.gillis at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 18:02:47 EDT 2009

Daniel Verlouw wrote:
> have a look at IS-IS mesh-groups. Although designed for a different
> purpose, it might work. Stick router A and all of its stub routers into
> the same L1 area. On router A, put all interfaces towards the stub
> routers in the same mesh-group.

Hm, interesting though. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to pan out in the lab.
The LSPs don't seem to get flooded, but the routes do get passed through Router
A to all the stub routers, regardless of how I set up the mesh-groups.

> PS. My preference would be to use BGP for the external routes and use
> IS-IS only to the distribute loopback IPs. Also makes filtering towards
> the stub routers a lot easier using route-maps etc. Depending on your
> gear/software/etc that might not be an option here though.

This is almost what I'm trying to do, there will be very few routes in IS-IS,
but the decree from on high is that each stub router should be totally stubby =(