[c-nsp] multipath BGP not balancing equally.

Dean Smith dean at eatworms.org.uk
Wed Aug 5 17:34:53 EDT 2009

Exactly whats happening. On a couple of occasions when only 1 IP address at
the far end is active for downloads we see the traffic on just one of our
links because its all 1 IP to 1 IP (which was the point I was going to
make...and then forgot!) instead of all 3 links. In this case its 1 BGP
peering (eBGP multihop) that has 3 equal cost paths between but the
principle is the same.

(we cant go per packet CEF load balancing because the far end doesn't
support it - and the major traffic flow is inbound to us)

Dean