[c-nsp] TACACS/RADUIS/AD

Ziv Leyes zivl at gilat.net
Sun Aug 9 03:57:58 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm in need to implement an AAA method other than local for our Cisco devices (routers/switches)

I was thinking of using the already existing Active Directory, because all people has an account there and a strict secure password policy.

Also when someone quits, their user is always removed from there but I don't always get notifications about personnel changes so to manage another independent user DB is not good for me.

At the beginning I was thinking to directly connect the AD servers, but this doesn't give me too much flexibility, I don't manage those servers and I don't want to depend on others regarding the authorizations.

I was thinking about a server like radius or tacacs that will check only the user authentication against the AD server and perhaps retrieve a value of which group the user belongs to, let's say I only need two or three degrees of authorization, (read-only, operator, and admins). All the rest of the commands authorization granularity will be performed by the radius/tacacs server, based on the user's groups.

Is this possible to implement? If yes, do you have some ideas, tips, howtos?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Ziv