[c-nsp] TACACS/RADUIS/AD

Ziv Leyes zivl at gilat.net
Sun Aug 9 08:46:20 EDT 2009

Ok, guys, thanks for the answers, I'm now more confused than before ;-)

Let's simplify it,
I have cisco devices we authenticate locally on each device. We want to centralize the AAA on a server, so I though to install a tac-plus or a freeradius on a linux box, so far not a problem, the problem is I don't want to make another user management because that won't be much different from managing local users on the devices, so I thought to make the tacacs or radius server interact with the AD/LDAP whatever Windows server that already exist and have by default a managed users list that is dynamically updated as new users come or old users leave.
This is the user and password used by everyone to log in to their workstations, so they all remember their password and it's a "secure" one (up and low case, numbers, special charaters) which is also requested from users to change every once in a while.
All I need is to see that the user exist and that the password is correct, I was thinking also to retrieve some kind of attribute that will allow me to match it against the tacacs/radius group and then setting a sort of permission for the user, it could be per command based (better) or per general permission (have enable 15 or not)

Is this possible or too complicated?
Thanks,
Ziv