[c-nsp] Linux Com Driver to Modem on Cisco Terminal Server

Ziv Leyes zivl at gilat.net
Tue Aug 11 02:52:05 EDT 2009

First of all, to access a modem connected to an async or aux port of a router it's possible by telneting the router on port 2000 + the line number the modem is connected, if you perform a "show line" command on the router you'll get something like this, for example:
   Tty Typ     Tx/Rx    A Modem  Roty AccO AccI   Uses   Noise  Overruns   Int
     0 CTY              -    -      -    -    -      0       0     0/0       -
     1 AUX      0/0     -    -      -    -    -      0       0     0/0       -
*    2 VTY              -    -      -    -    -     22       0     0/0       -

In this case, if the modem was connected to the AUX port you would telnet the router on port 2001 and you can get direct access to modem control and be able to perform any AT commands.

I also like minicom for direct serial access, but now for normal console I use a nice graphical took named gtk term which is more simple and friendly if you're in a GUI environment, for the command line and specific modem protocols and commands support, minicom is still the one you want.