[c-nsp] Cisco 6509-E & WiSM - OIR

Steve Shaw shaw38 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 13:50:14 EDT 2009

Guys,
I second (or third) the "do it inside a maintenance window" recommendation.
The effect of doing an OIR in a 6500 chassis really depends on the types of
modules within the chassis at that time....basically--

DFCs = OK
CFC=bus stall i.e. traffic loss

I've personally been bitten by doing an OIR during the day in a 6500 with
CFC modules.

Here's some literature from Cisco:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_qanda_item09186a00809a7673.shtml#qa4

The addition of a DFC module effectively disconnects a module from the Data
Bus. As such, a DFC-enabled module is not subject to the bus stall mechanism
that occurs when a module is inserted or removed from the chassis.
Throughout these Online Insertion and Removal (OIR) events, the Data Bus is
temporarily paused for just enough time to ensure that the insertion/removal
process does not cause any data corruption on the backplane. This protection
mechanism causes a very brief amount of packet loss (sub-second, but
dependent on the time it takes to fully insert a module). A module with a
DFC onboard is not directly affected by this stall mechanism and does not
have any packet loss on OIR.

-Steve