[c-nsp] Bridge devices - ARP takeover

Graham Wooden graham at g-rock.net
Thu Aug 13 19:08:36 EDT 2009

I know - the whole thing is bizarre.  I was able to get access to that
remote C2621, and noticed that ip proxy-arp was disabled. I enabled to to
match my interface on the 6500.  It's been up for close to an hour now with
no issues (hopefully I just didn't jinx myself).

I removed the hardcoded MACs as that didn't seem to help.  And no, I can't
see the otherside at all when the issue arises.

Here is the "show adj detail" from the VLAN (6500 side). The
172.20.255.248/28 is the secondary address subnet on the VLAN to manage the
radios. Poorman's OOB.  Radios are .250 and .251.

IP       Vlan201                   12.nn.nn.246(11)
                                   291469 packets, 216514528 bytes
                                   epoch 0
                                   sourced in sev-epoch 2
                                   Encap length 14
                                   000628A343000004DEFF70000800
                                   ARP
IP       Vlan201                   172.20.255.250(7)
                                   376 packets, 46187 bytes
                                   epoch 0
                                   sourced in sev-epoch 2
                                   Encap length 14
                                   000B6B2E5A2C0004DEFF70000800
                                   ARP
IP       Vlan201                   172.20.255.251(7)
                                   370 packets, 43771 bytes
                                   epoch 0
                                   sourced in sev-epoch 2
                                   Encap length 14
                                   000B6B2E59FB0004DEFF70000800
                                   ARP

And then from the 2621 side ...

IP       FastEthernet0/0           172.20.255.251(5)
                                   1983 packets, 266146 bytes
                                   000B6B2E59FB000628A343000800
                                   ARP        03:58:41
                                   Epoch: 0
IP       FastEthernet0/0           172.20.255.249(5)
                                   7 packets, 686 bytes
                                   0004DEFF7000000628A343000800
                                   ARP        03:26:18
                                   Epoch: 0
IP       FastEthernet0/0           xxxxxx(7) (12.nn.nn.245)
                                   232362 packets, 51704892 bytes
                                   0004DEFF7000000628A343000800
                                   ARP        02:42:29
                                   Epoch: 0