[c-nsp] Funny (and hard to describe) AWOL routes

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Aug 13 21:46:33 EDT 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Jared Mauch wrote:

> Your tcam is full. It may not log that, you likely need 12.2sxe or sxf to see
> the logs on sup2. Cut down the number of routes you listen to from your
> upstreams, having them send you just their customer routes and use default
> for the rest.
>
> In sup720 and sup1a when the tcam is full it would then process switch. Not
> sure on sup2 but I presume it's the same.

When we were discussing this on-list a year or more ago, I think someone
said that what the sup2 did when tcam filled was IOS version dependent.
Newer IOS would process switch.  Older IOS would blackhole.  I never
verified this.

I really expected to see messages like this about a year ago.  A full view
is around 290k routes...way more than the sup2 tcam can handle.  This guy
has to have been having issues for months.