[c-nsp] instabilities with SXI2?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Aug 14 17:39:23 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm wondering if one of you is running SXI2 non-modular code and has had
negative experiences?

We run it on a 7604/Sup720 with no problems at all, and on a 7603/Sup32-10G
that is a bit unhappy with us these days - it's spontaneously reloading
every few days (twice so far), and after the reload, it claims

System returned to ROM by power on at 11:35:27 MET Fri Nov 10 2000 (SP by power on)

... which I'm reasonably sure is a blatant lie (redundant PSUs, connected
to different power distribution strips, no works at that time, yadda yadda).

(And it was *not* there in the year 2000 either...)

After the first crash, I hooked up a console, to see whether it would
print anything funny - nothing.  Just the normal "configured by..."
messages (last line as of 3 days ago), and then the "System Bootstrap"
line that the boot ROM prints as the very first line.

Nothing in the bootflash, no crashinfo, etc.

So, it's either:

 - SXI2 is bad, and the Sup720 box has been lucky
 - SXI2 doesn't like the Sup32-10G (or the 7603)
 - SXI2 is fine, and this specific hardware is flakey

TAC case has been opened, but since the box is refusing to give meaningful
statements on *why* it's unhappy, this is not proceeding - which is why
I hope to hear from you "yes, we've seen that as well" or "no, SXI2 is
rock solid for us" evidence.

(I won't go in the details of the box's configuration - there is nothing
really different from what other boxes do in our network, IPv4, IPv6,
MPLS, BGP [with ~500 prefixes only], the full program - but I don't
really think this is relevant here, *those* crashes usually look different)

thanks,

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de