[c-nsp] Management Vlan VS Vlan1

shadow floating nadengine at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 19 00:48:50 EDT 2009

Hi All,
I just have a question, as we know that Cisco preserve VLAN 1 for
management issues and network management needed protocols like CDP,
VTP  and the like, and all access from other VLANs to this VLAN should
be restricted except from the management VLAN, as for our network, we
are implementing a new management VLAN on a VLAN id other than 1
according to some consultant's advice, my question is : is there any
benefit of migrating the management (all managing and managed devices)
to another VLAN other than VLAN1 ??...won't in this case we have to
protect two VLANs (VLAN 1 and the new management VLAN)?...or is there
a real benefit in the migration of the management VLAN, as for my
knowledge...VLAN 1 can not be disabled or even pruned on trunk links?

appreciating your comments
thanks alot

Nad