[c-nsp] Arp Inspection Rate Limit

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Wed Aug 19 05:59:29 EDT 2009

Hi,

NMaio at guesswho.com wrote:

> Thanks for the response.  Funny you mention the print server because
> that happens to be one device port I need to tweak since it occasionally
> exceeds the 15 pps.

We have been fine at 10 for over a year now[1], however it took us a
while to figure out that for some bizarre reason[2] 'File and Print
Sharing' being enabled actually caused the workstation to flood ping the
local subnet looking for printers everytime someone pressed <Print> on
their workstation.

Similar thing happens under Vista only when you want to add an IPP
printer by hand :-/

Cheers

[1] we are a university with about 600 staff and 3000 students
[2] might be linked to Novell being installed too, but who knows

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: There's enough money here to buy 5000 cans of Noodle-Roni!