[c-nsp] 6500 QoS

ML ml at kenweb.org
Wed Aug 19 23:19:24 EDT 2009

I'm about to turn on "mls qos" for the first time on a 6509E.

I would like some background information from the QoS experts on this list.

Last time I turned on "mls qos" it was a 3560 which has certain
undesirable defaults when "mls qos" is turned on.  I want avoid the same
result with the 6509 which is our Internet edge device.  What I want to
accomplish is to mark all incoming traffic from our transit link to CS0.

I don't want to inadvertently get clobbered by a default limit of x% for
egress queue bandwidth that I'm not expecting.

If I understand what I've found out so far:

On the WS-X6724-SFP:

Seems all possible CoS values are mapped to queue 1 for ingress and
egress.  The WRR queue ratios are 100,0,0 for queues 1,2,3 (4 is
priority?) So Queue can utilize 100% of the interface bandwidth.  So by
default I shouldn't seem traffic getting bottlenecked where it wasn't
before because of some default config?

Is the simplest configuration to turn on mls qos globally and use a
service policy to set all input to dscp cs0?

Thanks